PharmaLeaders: Mid-Cap Biotechnology Benchmark Report – Sales Forecasts and Product Valuations of Innovative Biotechs
The combined spend on research and development for the peer group of 35 mid-cap biotech companies increased by nearly $2 billion to reach a total of $9.7 billion in 2014, primarily thanks to top spender Regeneron. The company led the way with R&D expenses of $860 million in 2013, further analysis shows that Regeneron’s R&D expenses grew by 47.9% year-to-year to $1.3 billion in 2014. Vertex had the second largest R&D outlay among the peer group, spending $855.5 million in 2014, representing a 3% decrease from 2013. This resulted from the company completing the TRAFFIC and TRANSPORT clinical trials evaluating VX-809, a combination product of lumacaftor and ivacaftor for treating cystic fibrosis.
Mid-Cap Biotechnology Benchmark Report applies a proprietary ranking methodology to compare the competitive positions of 35 mid-cap biotechnology companies on 14 financial metrics. Key questions answered:
- What specific strategies are innovative biotech companies employing to gain market share?
- What therapeutic areas are biotech companies allocating their R&D budgets?
- Which trends will affect the sector moving forward?
- How does my pipeline and commercialisation strategy match up against the competition?
- What specific business development activities are taking place, in terms of partnerships or M&A?
- What particular enabling technologies and drug platforms are companies developing?
- How are companies maximising their capital spend to gain competitive advantage?
Benchmark your company’s performance against a similar peer group to assess areas of strength/weakness.
Tagged: Biotechnology Benchmark, Healthcare, Market reports, Mid-Cap Biotechnology Benchmark Report, Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare, PharmaLeaders, Product Valuations of Innovative Biotechs, Sales Forecasts